The Tracy Police Department Police Explorer program welcomes young men and women of good character. It is designed to provide students with a practical understanding of police functions within the community and offers an opportunity to contribute to the police department through voluntary service.
Police explorers are not financially compensated as the position is voluntary.
Duties and Events
Police Explorers with the Tracy Police Department participate in community and department events and learn various topics related to the law enforcement profession.
- Communication skills
- Radio codes and procedures
- California criminal laws
- Introduction to basic police procedure
- Participation in police ride-alongs with patrol officers
- Assisting in areas within the department, such as records and communications
- Participation in explorer competitions
- Age: Must be at least 14 years of age (graduated from middle school or junior high school) to 21 years of age.
- Physical Requirements: Must be in good health. (The City of Tracy does not discriminate against anyone based on race, religion, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation, or disability.
- Residency: Must live within the city limits of Tracy, the area serviced by the Tracy Unified School District, or be a child/dependent of a City of Tracy Police Department employee.
- Academic Standing: Must maintain a “C” average in all school work (2.0 GPA or better with no “F’s”).
- Interest/learning about a future law enforcement career.
- Volunteer a minimum of 16 hours per calendar month.
- Must conform with Tracy Police Department and Police Explorer Rules and Regulations.
- Attend both monthly explorer meetings on the 2nd and 4th Sundays 12pm-3pm..
- Be available for special events as needed.
If you have questions about the explorer program, please send us a message.
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to join the Explorer Program, please complete a Tracy Police Department Explorer Application.