Animal Services

The Animal Services Unit works diligently to serve the public and animals of the City of Tracy in a professional and efficient manner with kindness and compassion. The staff is dedicated to providing education, protection, and the humane treatment of animals in order to ensure a safe and healthy community and to promote the benefits of responsible pet ownership.

The staff of the Animal Services Unit is responsible for enforcing Tracy Municipal Codes relative to all animals and their well-being within the Tracy city limits.

Hours of Operation

Tuesday – Sunday
12pm – 5:30 pm

Unincorporated Areas

Animals that are found in the unincorporated area surrounding Tracy are served by the San Joaquin County Animal Shelter, which is jointly operated by the City of Stockton Police Department and San Joaquin County. The Shelter is located at 1575 South Lincoln Street in Stockton and is open Monday through Friday, noon to 5 pm, and on Saturdays until 3 pm.

Please contact them at 209-953-6070 or visit their website by clicking here.

Tracy PD Animal Services
Tracy Animal Shelter logo

Contact Information

Bureau of Support Services

This unit is part of the Bureau of Support Services.


(209) 831-6364

After Hours

(209) 831-6550

Send a Message

If you have questions or want more information about this unit.

Additional Service Information

Please click on the topic below for further information.

Adoptions & Adoption Fees

Please click here to see the animals we currently have available for adoption.


Puppy Female – $220

Puppy Male – $156

Adult Female – $254

Adult Male – $190


Females – $143

Male – $91

All dog and cat adoptions include the pet being altered, basic vaccinations, microchipping, deworming, and flea medication. Additionally, all dogs will receive a Rabies vaccine/voucher and if applicable a City of Tracy Dog License.

As required by law, all dogs and cats must be altered before leaving the shelter.

Available Pets

Once an animal comes into the Shelter, their information and photo are automatically uploaded to Adopets.com. The system updates every hour, on the hour with any new intakes.

  • You can find pets available for adoption under the ‘Adoptions’ tab.
  • Animals that are still on their stray hold can be viewed at 24Petconnect.com.

Tracy Animal Services will investigate reports of aggressive animals, suspected animal abuse, and any welfare complaints, as well as enforce all Penal and Tracy Municipal Codes.


Tracy Municipal Code 5.08.130 requires that all dogs over four months of age be vaccinated against rabies and licensed.

Rabies Vaccination Schedule

  • Dogs vaccinated between 4 and 12 months of age must be revaccinated in one year.
  • Dogs over 12 months of age must be revaccinated at least once every three years.

Licensing Schedule

Licenses are due and payable when:

  • The dog reaches 4 months of age
  • 30 days after acquiring a new dog
  • 30 days after becoming a new resident of the City of Tracy

Annual Dog License Fees

  • $35 per year for dogs
  • $20 Late fee

Instructions For Obtaining A Dog License

To license your dog, download and print the application. Please include copies (Do not include original documents as they will not be returned to you) of the following:

  • Your check or money order made payable to the City of Tracy
  • A copy of a valid Rabies Certificate
  • A copy of the animal’s Spay/Neuter Certificate (if applicable)

Mail your payment, application, and copies of documents to:

Tracy Police Department
C/O: Animal Services
1000 Civic Center Drive
Tracy, CA 95376

License Applications and Renewals may also be placed in any of the three drop-box locations that are outside of City Hall:

  • Across Civic Center Drive by the East facing door going into City Hall
  • In the slot in the wall by the West facing doors going into City Hall
  • In the North parking lot (This location is accessible from the vehicle)
Lost or Found Animals
Lost Animals

If you are missing your companion, please go to 24petconnect.com to view what is currently at the Tracy Animal Shelter. If you do not see your animal, please download and complete the Lost Animal Report Form and email it to animalservices@tracypd.com. Be sure to include a photo of your lost pet.

Found Animals

If you have found an animal, you can download and complete a Found Animal Report Form and email it to animalservices@tracypd.com. Be sure to include a photo of the found pet. You can also call the Tracy Animal Shelter at (209)831-6364 to see if there is a Lost Report matching the description of the animal you have found. Staff then can give you recommendations moving forward that best fits your needs.

Rabies Control

Tracy Animal Services Officers will conduct an investigation for any animal that has bitten a human and will complete the state-required quarantine procedure.

The Big Heart Fund

Big Heart Fund monetary donations to the shelter provide veterinary care for injured/sick stray animals, vaccines, medicine, and anything that pertains to helping the betterment of the animals while being cared for at our facility.

Donations may be submitted via mail or in-office by appointment. For in-office payments, please contact the Animal Services Unit at 209-831-6364 to schedule an appointment.

Acceptable forms of payment include cash, check, money order, credit, or debit. With every donation, you will receive a tax exemption and thank you letter.

If donating by check, please write “Big Heart Fund” in the memo line. Checks may be mailed to:

Tracy Police Department
C/O: Tracy Animal Services
1000 Civic Center Drive
Tracy, CA 95376

VIP Mobile Vaccine Clinic

VIP Vaccine clinics are held at the shelter every Sunday from 1:00pm to 2:30pm.


Volunteers help with the general operation of the animal shelter. To be a volunteer, individuals must submit an application and undergo an interview and background check. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old and commit to volunteering at least 12 hours per month.

Volunteer Opportunities:
  • Dog Walking
  • Clerical
  • Kennel Help
  • Pet Socialization

Please download and complete the Animal Services Volunteer Application Form and email it to animalservices@tracypd.com.



The Tracy Animal Shelter relies on donations from our community. All donations directly benefit the animals that come to our shelter. Staff and our animal friends greatly appreciate any, and all generosity sent our way.

How to Donate Items to the Shelter

The Tracy Animal Shelter is always seeking and accepting items that provide comfort to our animals while they are in our care. We accept animal food, used blankets and towels, dog and cat toys, dog and cat beds, wet food, and treats. Check out the City of Tracy Animal Shelter’s Amazon Wishlist.

Monetary Donations

Monetary donations help to provide veterinary care for animals that come in sick or injured. Any amount that is given makes a difference and can truly change the life of an animal in our care. Donation checks can be mailed to the shelter at:

Tracy Police Department
C/O: Tracy Animal Services
1000 Civic Center Drive
Tracy, CA 95376

Applications and Report Forms

All forms related to Animal Services can be found here. Please follow the instructions on this page or in the document when completing and submitting or mailing the form.

Dog License Applicationanimal-services
Lost Animal Reportanimal-services
Found Animal Reportanimal-services
Animal Services Volunteer Applicationanimal-services

Frequently Asked Questions

Read the most popular questions we’re asked regarding animals. If you have a question not answered below, contact us on social media, or send us a message.

Why do I need to license my dog(s) and where can I go to obtain one?

The Tracy Municipal Code, 5.08.130(a), requires all dogs living within the City of Tracy to have a current dog license. In order to license your dog you may obtain one by either downloading and completing a City of Tracy Dog License Application Form and mailing it in with supporting documents and payment, or by visiting the shelter with the current Rabies Certificate and Spay/Neuter Certificate (if applicable).

Where can I rent a humane cat trap?

City of Tracy residents can rent a cat trap from the Tracy Animal Shelter at 2375 Paradise Avenue. Cat trap rentals require a valid I.D. and a refundable deposit of $60. This deposit is submitted for a refund once the cat trap is returned.

There is a dog in my neighborhood that barks all the time; what can be done?

You must have the exact address when calling to make a report. Once staff can look up the address and determines where in the process we are, we will move in the appropriate direction for response. For 1st time complaints, a letter is mailed to the address provided. After that we ask the complaining party to wait approximately two (2) weeks before calling in another complaint for the same address. After the two (2) week time frame, we ask that you call while the barking is occurring. An Animal Services Officer must witness the violation in order to issue a citation.

I have a pet that I am no longer able to care for; can I bring it to the Tracy Animal Shelter?

The City of Tracy Animal Services currently does not accept owner surrenders. Due to this, we are happy to support our community by providing safe rehoming options and recommendations as well as help guide in additional support such as financial support and behavioral support. Please contact us at 209.831.6364 or AnimalServices@TracyPD.com in order for staff to provide these additional resources and recommendations.

There is a snake in my yard; can an Animal Services Officer come out to handle it?

Similar to other wildlife, Animal Service Officers don’t respond to stray snake calls. If the snake has found itself inside your residence, an Animal Services Officer will be dispatched to help relocate it. Snakes are in continuous motion; they will not stay in one place for very long. It is best to let them be, and they will not be an issue. If you do come across a Rattle Snake in a high traffic area, please contact the Non-Emergency Tracy Police Dispatch line at 209-831-6550.

There is a live opossum/raccoon/skunk in my yard; can an Animal Services Officer come remove it?
While they may be a nuisance on occasion, opossums/raccoons/skunks and other similar animals are considered wildlife and we are required to coexist with them. They provide many benefits to your property and are generally more afraid of us than we are of them. They don’t stay in one place and tend to move along to other locations. City of Tracy Animal Services Officers do not go out to remove wildlife unless they are sick or injured. If you are having issues with healthy wildlife, we recommend contacting a wildlife trapper, or consulting with your local pest control agency.
There is an injured bird; will an Animal Services Officer come pick it up?
Baby birds learn to fly from the ground up. If the bird appears to have its pin feathers, please give it space and time to take flight. Its mother will still be in the area watching over it.

If a bird appears to have a dropped wing, we ask that you contain the bird with a cardboard box. Birds, even though injured, are still very mobile. To ensure that the bird is still at the location given, we do require that you call once the bird is secured in a box.

I am interested in volunteering at the animal shelter; what is required and how do I become a volunteer?

At this time, all volunteers must be at least 18 years old and available to provide a minimum of 12 hours of volunteering per month. If you meet our minimum requirements, please download, complete, and submit a City of Tracy Animal Services Volunteer Application.