Citizen Guidelines For Ride Along
- The minimum age of a ride along participant shall be fourteen (14) years of age.
- Ride along participants under the age of eighteen (18) shall not be permitted to ride between the hours
of 11:00p.m. and 7:00a.m.
- Participants must not have had any felony arrests and convictions or multiple misdemeanor arrests
or convictions, excluding traffic citations for infractions, unless approved by the Chief of Police.
- Citizens must not ride more often than once in a three (3) month period, unless approved by the
- No cameras and/or audio or visual recorders will be permitted.
- Only one citizen will be allowed to ride during any one given shift, unless approved by the Watch Commander.
- All participants will be suitable and comfortably dressed. Sandals, tank tops, shorts, gang related
paraphernalia and other unsuitable clothing will not be permitted.
- Participants shall not use or operate Department equipment or vehicles without the permission of the
escorting officer and then only in emergency situations.
- Participants shall refrain from conversing with prisoners, suspects, or witnesses without the permission of
the officer. This regulation is necessary to avoid the potential tainting of evidence.
- Participantsshall not interfere with an officer while he/she is handing a police incident.
- The officer has discretion to terminate a ride along in the event a participant fails to follow reasonable
directions or interferes with the officer’s regular duties.
- Participants may terminate the ride along at any time. If termination is requested, the participant will
be dropped off at the Police Department as soon as safety permits.
- Participants shall wear seat belts in the patrol vehicles at all times.
- Participants shall not be assigned to ride with officers having less than six (6) months of experience with
the Tracy Police Department.
- The participant shall not leave the patrol vehicle without the permission of the officer and in no situation
when a potential for violence exists or a suspect in an investigation is present.
- The Participant shall not carry any firearm or other concealed weapon.